Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

I'm trying to figure out the proper placement for the bridge for a scale length of 25.5 inches. I assumed the the distance from the nut to the top of the bridge where the string passes between the two adjustment set screws for the bridge height is this distance. Do you adjust the bridges halfway back, where the front of the bridge is at 25.5 inches? I enclosed a copy of the neck.

Views: 977

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The scale length is measured from the contact point of the strings on the nut to the contact point on the bridge,  The measurement starts as soon as the string is free to vibrate.

To set that bridge I would unscrew the screw/spring for the thin string far as it goes then screw it back in about an eighth inch - then line that up at 25.5, or if you want to ensure exact, twice the distance from nut to 12th fret.

The middle and bass saddles will be screwed in to make the scale length longer so the open note is an octave from 12th string fretted note

Thanks Ted that was very helpful.

I tried to score one of these boxes from my local cigar guy. Was down to 3 cigars in it, and he said he'd call when it was empty. Went every week to buy other boxes and keep and eye on that one. Go in the Monday after Christmas, he said a Christmas eve customer bought all three of the sticks, and asked if he could also buy the box. Rene didn't have the heart/stones to say no, so I lost the box. I definitely saw a double necker when I saw the box. 

Nice score on the box and real nice bridges.

zant

The cigar box showed up on EBAY during Christmas time and got lucky to win it, as no one bid on it. The last time I bid on one I lost out. I found the electric bridge on the internet at Moongazermusic.com--he makes electric mandolin, ukulele, & cigar box bridges for 3, 4, 5, 8, & 10 string.

John Zant said:

I tried to score one of these boxes from my local cigar guy. Was down to 3 cigars in it, and he said he'd call when it was empty. Went every week to buy other boxes and keep and eye on that one. Go in the Monday after Christmas, he said a Christmas eve customer bought all three of the sticks, and asked if he could also buy the box. Rene didn't have the heart/stones to say no, so I lost the box. I definitely saw a double necker when I saw the box. 

zant

Ted's last sentence refers to "setting the intonation".  The way I do it is to make the fretted note at the 12th fret, the same as the harmonic note at the 12th fret.

If you don't know what a harmonic note is, very lightly touch the string above the 12th fret and pluck it. You'll hear a really cool bell-like tone. This is also exactly 1/2 the length of the string.

You need a chromatic tuner to get this really exact, but doing it by ear should get you in the ball park.

Thanks for that information it has been very helpful.

Skeesix said:

Ted's last sentence refers to "setting the intonation".  The way I do it is to make the fretted note at the 12th fret, the same as the harmonic note at the 12th fret.

If you don't know what a harmonic note is, very lightly touch the string above the 12th fret and pluck it. You'll hear a really cool bell-like tone. This is also exactly 1/2 the length of the string.

You need a chromatic tuner to get this really exact, but doing it by ear should get you in the ball park.

Next time, put a piece of tape on the box with your name, and the words, "box spoken for when empty".
;-)
John Zant said:

zant

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service