Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

The Wood And Metal Build-Off Challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED

The Challenge:- Build a musical instrument combining wood and metal in an interesting/unusual way.

**1st prize is an awesome custom rod piezo bridge by Randy S. Bretz's (thanks randy!)**

The Results Are In!

C#Merle - Metal Head Guitar

Julian Perry - The Kettle Strum

The Phryigan Kid - The Electric Moo Harp

The Contenders

Julian Perry - The Kettle Strum

Okay, here's my effort! The Kettle-Strum. Not how I originally planned it - was meant to have an aluminium neck with wooden fretboard attached, but found it was beyond my milling skills at the moment! So it's just a stove-top kettle, with idigbo neck, sapele fretboard and detail, white oak bridge, piezo embedded in bridge, vol pot, output jack in spout, drilled sound hole and buffalo horn nut.

jerzy mojo - Jerry-Can Bass

Hey there, here's the Jerry Can Bass for the metal and wood challenge, sounds great, video to follow

c# merle - Metal-Head Guitar

Here is my entry to the challenge.  Not what i was originally aiming for but here goes-

23.5 inch scale walnut neck with zebrano fretboard;  steel nut; paua shell position markers; accelerator pedal headstock with zebra veneer inlay and brake pedal tailpiece.

teabox trimmed with sheet aluminium and steel thumb bolt bridge.

mini chrome humbucker with tone and volume

Wade- The Johnny Walker Red

My entry The Johnny Walker Red -I'm really proud of this one- too bad it's already out of the shop. It's in good hands now anyway - enjoy.

Wade

Ted Crocker- The Ugly Duckling/Beautiful Swan

Well folks, I needed the creative kick in the butt this challenge gave me. My understanding from the beginning was we were challenged to start with the Ugliest Duckling cigar box or most beat up or most annoying box, the one you'd never consider for an instrument, and turn it into a Beautiful Swan.  

Here's what I started with. Incomplete, broken pieces from two similar 1886 boxes. No tops and an extra back and two sides that weren't the same size. I got them from Wichita Sam who passed them over for his build thinking it was impossible. 

PERFECT for the Ugly Duckling/Beautiful Swan Challenge!!!!! 

Here's the Ugly Duckling:

The Phrygian Kid - The Electric Moo Harp

well friends my entry for your prestigious build off is this leaping cow electric moo harp

as you probably know the moo harp is the traditional instrument of my people, it is used to summon the herds for milking and to signal the beginning of the cheese festival.  To the best of my knowledge there has never been an electric one before, but none of my people had electricity before neither.

read on for more details of the builds - good luck guys

Tags: an, build, challenge, instrument

Views: 2321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A couple more; Sorry I can't work out how to attach photos so that they show up here  Grrr!

Attachments:

Julians Pictures

awesome stuff Julian, great to see you building

Great build, Julian.

Thanks guys and a special thankyou to The Phrygian Kid for the help with the photos!! These challenges are a great way to get you 'thinking outside the box' and coming up with something a bit different.

super cool build!!! a real 'steam'punk blues machine

Julian Perry said:

Okay, here's my effort! The Kettle-Strum. Not how I originally planned it - was meant to have an aluminium neck with wooden fretboard attached, but found it was beyond my milling skills at the moment! So it's just a stove-top kettle, with idigbo neck, sapele fretboard and detail, white oak bridge, piezo embedded in bridge, vol pot, output jack in spout, drilled sound hole and buffalo horn nut.

Awesome work merle

c# merle said:

Here is my entry to the challenge:-not what i was originally aiming for but here goes

23.5 inch scale walnut neck with zebrano fretboard;  steel nut; paua shell position markers; accelerator pedal headstock with zebra veneer inlay and brake pedal tailpiece.

teabox trimmed with sheet aluminium and steel thumb bolt bridge.

mini chrome humbucker with tone and volume

here's a wee demo played lefty

actually sold the cbg before i finished building(!)

Beautiful work Julian

Julian Perry said:

Awesome work guys.  I thought I'd be able to come up with something but I have too many custom builds going on and still training an assistant in the new shop and not enough hours in the week.

OK if I submit one I built a few years back?

Above is my entry The Johnny Walker Red -I'm really proud of this one- too bad it's already out of the shop. It's in good hands now anyway - enjoy.

Wade

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Great book by Clubhouse Member David Sutton

Great book by Clubhouse Member Mike Orr

© 2014   Created by Ted Crocker.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service