Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

The first one I built was a newer very light gauge steel, I made the neck attached to the lid only very little on each end with a good epoxy. I then epoxied a Schaller pick up to the lid close to the bridge. It sounds real nice , close to a banjo.
Just finished the second lunch box , much older with heavier gauge steel. This time I placed one of my hand wound 3 string pick ups about an 1/8 below the lid. Sounds like crap. Just ordered some more acoustical pick ups.

Views: 246

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nice job good thing bout lunch boxes they make it easy to carry yo guitar

Nice! I've got a Betty Boop lunch pail to try.
Thanks for imput. I actually made a sound hole which doubles as a storage hole for the Schaller cable. Please advise how you handle any pick ups. Love you box's.
PS My brother worked for a local John Deere dealer ship. My dad restored older J.D.s I just sold my 1952 G to Amish who have rebuilt it as a bpulling machine.

Gene said:
nice job good thing bout lunch boxes they make it easy to carry yo guitar

Please let vus know how it turns out and how it sounds.
thanks

Paul Douglass said:
Nice! I've got a Betty Boop lunch pail to try.
Its one of those things I cant get a handle on. I probably saw 10 or 20 cool lunchboxes a year at yardsales and fleamarkets before I started this cbg building. Now i want to build a lunchbox and cant find one worthy of my time. Im just guessin the handle provides good distortion. I am on the hunt and would appreciate ny help if yall know where to find them cheap. Everything around here is plastic or fabric these days.
Got mine off e-bay. The box was cheap, shipping wasn't to bad I've seen both shown here on e-bay.

LJ said:
Its one of those things I cant get a handle on. I probably saw 10 or 20 cool lunchboxes a year at yardsales and fleamarkets before I started this cbg building. Now i want to build a lunchbox and cant find one worthy of my time. Im just guessin the handle provides good distortion. I am on the hunt and would appreciate ny help if yall know where to find them cheap. Everything around here is plastic or fabric these days.
I found mine close to Clarion PA at a nice antique store. They were asking $40.00 for the two I wanted. I offered $30.00 and got them They must have another 10 or so. I saw a Micky Mouse job I want to get next time. I well take some pictures for you and seee if t hey have a web site.

LJ said:
Can I assume you built this lunch box. What did you use for a pickup? You sure look like a younger versoin of my uncle Grant. It looks real nice

Bonehead said:

Are there any good tutorials for attaching the neck on the web? I'll google it, but if anyone has recommendations, let me know. I've been dying to try this for a while. They look awesome and I bet the sound all tinny and fantastic. Nice builds guys!
I am not aware of a web site. For lunch box's I mill out the neck below the cover leaving a very short portion on each end that I epoxy to the lid. This allows the lid to vibrate and give youb some sustane. I also try to plan on the bridge being placed on the unsuported part of the lid. I really like the sound of the Schaller Oyster pick up for these metal boxes. I try to epoxy the Oyster close to the bridge and the treble strings.

Jason May said:
Are there any good tutorials for attaching the neck on the web? I'll google it, but if anyone has recommendations, let me know. I've been dying to try this for a while. They look awesome and I bet the sound all tinny and fantastic. Nice builds guys!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service