Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Friends and kinfolk, I am aggrieved. Just went to the usually helpful cigar shop to stock up on boxes for the Xmas hot season only to discover that cigars must now be sold only paper envelopes that have "don't smoke, tardo!" in large hectoring letters printed on them. Boxes, tubes and associated packing must be destroyed at the warehouse. Thank you, New Zealand gooberment! Not shop guy's fault, l thanked him for his help over the years, walk back to the car, roll up the windows and swing into a cursing rant that in my youth would have caused the sisters of little mercy to break out the Board of Education. Don't mind saying this does make things a little harder. I have 4 left, the price just sky rocketed. Can and will still make tins and hard bodys, but I am going to miss the cbg's...

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two options:  look for other kinds of wood boxes at thrift stores or flea markets... or make your own boxes from 1/8" hobby plywood.  Such is available at most hobby stores, usually made of basswood and works great.  Easy to do:  make the sides first and use small pieces of wood to square the corners. Then blue on the bottom, add the top.  You can affix it / style it just about any way you wish.   The hobby plywood isn't extremely expensive.  You can also buy it in boxes of 40 12x12" pieces on Ebay.  Pyrograph artists often use those for "canvases" for their artwork.  Works very well.

If you can buy it there, try Baltic birch plywood. It has more plies than normal plywood and contains no blows.

It is a joy to build something with this plywood.

Thanks for the input, guys. No doubt I'll still turn up the odd one, but the days of getting them a dozen at a time would seem to be over, sadly. I live out in the bush, weekend flea markets etc are problematic. Have made 4mm ply boxes in the past, probably will again. I like to use ply as well, made a rather fun elec 3er using alternating strips of ply and mahogany so the neck was built in, sort of...interesting times...

"Then blue on the bottom..."  (of course, GLUE on the bottom.   Fingers are not cooperative these days.)

Wayfinder said:

Two options:  look for other kinds of wood boxes at thrift stores or flea markets... or make your own boxes from 1/8" hobby plywood.  Such is available at most hobby stores, usually made of basswood and works great.  Easy to do:  make the sides first and use small pieces of wood to square the corners. Then blue on the bottom, add the top.  You can affix it / style it just about any way you wish.   The hobby plywood isn't extremely expensive.  You can also buy it in boxes of 40 12x12" pieces on Ebay.  Pyrograph artists often use those for "canvases" for their artwork.  Works very well.

Darn! Hate to hear that.  I 'spose it'll happen to us in the US before too long.  Of course ours will say "Dude, smoking is bad for you, OK?"  

I assume that it would be too expensive for us to send you some from the USA, huh?

Marv

Shipping overseas is ridiculously expensive.  However, I've found alternatives to cigar boxes and moved to using different materials these days.

Ever since building a guitar from an Altoids tin (and it worked!), I've been ranging from hard plastic bowls to tins from domino sets to parts from toys.  There are so many different materials and shapes and sizes from which a guitar can be made... that I've actually become somewhat bored with plain-ol' "cigar box" guitars.   If I use a cigar box (and I still do of course), I make sure to do something fancy with it:  decorations, painting, something to make it unique.  But there are so may other materials one can use for the body.  One member who can't get cigar boxes of any kind uses cake tins for the back of his guitars and a piece of thin plywood for the front.   He builds a mighty fine-sounding guitar. : )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service