Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

Hi everyone, I just had a parcel of all new shiny hardware arrive for my next build.
Which is a VW Hubcap guitar for myself. The pickup which is a single coil sized twin rail humbucker, has a layout I'm not familiar with. Not that I'm very experienced with guitar wiring at all.
I want to have just this one pickup with volume and tone controls.
My question is the best wiring circuit ?
250 or 500 k pots ?
Any caps needed. ? If so which.
I'm suspecting that these extra wires on the pickup are probably for in and out of phase.
If so what are the implications of this.
Literally as I was writing this I got a phone call from the surgeon who is now going to do a major surgery on my cervical spine, now on Nov 22nd the day after my birthday.
I had surgery on my neck Oct last year as my legs weren't working too well, they put spacers on the inside of my spine, but when I woke up, unfortunately I had no feeling in my right hand, which for a guitar player after 55 years of playing is not good.
The initial spacers sorted the pressure out and my legs were fine, but tilted the pressure over to the rear of my spine.
Anyway at least. I've learned to play some slide guitar using a thumb pick on my right hand, and now God willing I will be able to blow the cobwebs off my other guitars, ah well happy, if a little scared.
I hope someone can help me with my wiring project, I'm hoping to get this guitar together before I go in.
Thanks In Anticipation
Phil Hale

Views: 110

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Phil, your dual rail humbucker is basically 2 single coil pickups wired together.  Yours is wired in series, keep the blue and red wired together and run the black and white to your pot.  I'd use a 500k pot and if you add a tone control add a .047 cap to one.  If you want to get fancy you can connect the wires in various ways to be parallel, in/out off phase, etc.  I keep it simple - series just the way it is now.  

Good luck on the surgery!

Here's a wiring diagram:

Take Care And Thanks Phil

Ted Crocker said:

Phil, your dual rail humbucker is basically 2 single coil pickups wired together.  Yours is wired in series, keep the blue and red wired together and run the black and white to your pot.  I'd use a 500k pot and if you add a tone control add a .047 cap to one.  If you want to get fancy you can connect the wires in various ways to be parallel, in/out off phase, etc.  I keep it simple - series just the way it is now.  

Good luck on the surgery!

Here's a wiring diagram:

Hi Phil , Ted is right i have wired a few of these type n gotten some advice from Ted . only thing i would add is when Ted said keep blue n white wire together he means , tape them off n dont use them lol . if you wanted to split the coil you would add a two way on on switch then you could use these wires for that . i have done that . single coil n humbucker . sort of cool but not needed just fun experimenting some times . good luck with build n surgery .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service