Handmade Music Clubhouse

Cigar Box Guitar Headquarters - CBG HQ

OK, so Christmas Eve 2010, I picked up a f-hole parlor size guitar off Craig's List.  It was part of a "bundle" of 6 instruments.  Pictures being what they are, I was disappointed with it, but got it as part of the deal.  It seems to be 1930ish, fau-reso, non-label guitar.

 

front

 

The main problem was major cracking on the back....

back - severe cracking

 

Thinking about the older, very poor repairs, and my desire to have a thinner than the 3 3/4 thick box, I decided to cut the box down to 2 1/2" thick and getting rid of the damaged back at the same time...

back cut off

 

 

The picture above shows some work already do.  I'm using luan strips to make poor man's kerfing.

homemade bracing

 

After sanding everything level, I'll be gluing on a new back (more Luan?), but not before some important decisions about electronics, pickup(s), bracking, etc.

 

Updates to follow... thanks for looking...

 

the best,

 

Wichita Sam

Views: 444

Replies to This Discussion

I lOve it!!
I think the neck will feel real chunky as a three pair job (altho that's what I'm doing lol) I'd personally leave it a guitar or if u really want pairs, plug the tuner holes aNd go to four pairs...

As a regular guitar I reckon it's a sweet little rocker

Ps no u can neer have enuff clamps but I reckon u gotta boatload more than I do

 

Finished... The basic idea was to take a trashed parlor guitar and convert in to a Gibson-isk thin hollow body featuring:

Creme enamel finish with gold highlights

Humbucker, dual piezo under the bridge and 3way switch

handmade nut and bridge to convert the 6 stringer to a guitar with three doubled courses

Stella style fau painted binding on top and around sound holes... in gold of course.

Lightly brush the sides and back of neck to give ample gold highlights

Use the enamel to fill pores in the fretboard to give it gold highlights.

Refret with medium/medium fret wire to upgrade from the worn out banjo wire frets.

Fast action for finger style instead of slide..

 

IMG_0830

 

 

Embedded slideshow

 

 

 

Kid, I've really gotten into 3string CBGs.  I cut and recut the nut and bridge until I got the spacing just right.  I can go back and forth from a three string CBG to this guitar without missing a beat.  And, it sound phat.

the best,

Wichita Sam


 
The Phrygian Kid said:

I lOve it!!
I think the neck will feel real chunky as a three pair job (altho that's what I'm doing lol) I'd personally leave it a guitar or if u really want pairs, plug the tuner holes aNd go to four pairs...

As a regular guitar I reckon it's a sweet little rocker

Ps no u can neer have enuff clamps but I reckon u gotta boatload more than I do

wow Sam, that really is cool. Love the color and also the doubled 3 strings. Well done.

yeah sam !!

i done a few 3 pair electric guitars, love em. did u use a regular set of guitar strings? its what i do.. it means ur tuning the d and G strings to the same pitch as each other, ud really be better off with two d strings, or a set with a wound g, but it works and its cheaper

i really really like this entry

oh i looked again, theyre unisons not octaves right?

i do octaves like the bottom half of a 12 string

I used the 543 strings from two medium (10s) sets of electrics... they are tuned in unison.... I'm always shopping for cheap strings.  I think these were GHS from GC for 3 sets for $10....
The Phrygian Kid said:

yeah sam !!

i done a few 3 pair electric guitars, love em. did u use a regular set of guitar strings? its what i do.. it means ur tuning the d and G strings to the same pitch as each other, ud really be better off with two d strings, or a set with a wound g, but it works and its cheaper

i really really like this entry

Kid,

 

I usually agree with you and may try that in the future.  since I'm going to finger pick a little, I don't want the bass side of the neck throwing out highs that might mess up melody lines being played on the middle or treble side of the neck....  For strumming and chording, octaves on the bass pair certainly make sense.

 

the best,

 

WS

 


 
The Phrygian Kid said:

oh i looked again, theyre unisons not octaves right?

i do octaves like the bottom half of a 12 string

oh mate theres no agreeing or disagreeing, i just had thought thats what it was when i asked about strings just before it.  yeah the octave ones are awesome, i never did unisons like you got there, im certainly not saying should or coulda all good mate :)

i do octaves the whole way, not just the bottom ones. cos its consistent across the whole neck it balances itself out nicely. when you decide if you want the octave first or second on the downstroke, in my opinion that determines wether its dominant in the sound or not. if you look in my pics ull see lots and lots of em, tins, solids, cbgs.. i like em a lot, and when u sell em you just tell the buyer to use a regular set of gitt strings 6-4 (or the wound ones) for one of the strings in each course then repeat with 3-1 (unwound..), simple.  buyers like it cos sets of 6 are easy to find and cheap compared to any other set of strings, you know?

Kid,

I like the way you've thought it out... I will certainly try it on my next six string CBG....

 

the best,

 

Wichita Sam



The Phrygian Kid said:

oh mate theres no agreeing or disagreeing, i just had thought thats what it was when i asked about strings just before it.  yeah the octave ones are awesome, i never did unisons like you got there, im certainly not saying should or coulda all good mate :)

i do octaves the whole way, not just the bottom ones. cos its consistent across the whole neck it balances itself out nicely. when you decide if you want the octave first or second on the downstroke, in my opinion that determines wether its dominant in the sound or not. if you look in my pics ull see lots and lots of em, tins, solids, cbgs.. i like em a lot, and when u sell em you just tell the buyer to use a regular set of gitt strings 6-4 (or the wound ones) for one of the strings in each course then repeat with 3-1 (unwound..), simple.  buyers like it cos sets of 6 are easy to find and cheap compared to any other set of strings, you know?

RSS

© 2018   Created by Ted Crocker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service