Recently, I made a Wash Bucket Bass from a large galvanized metal tub for someone, and it came out pretty good. So, thinking I'd make one for myself, but a little more novel-looking, I used what I thought was a decent-size vintage fireman's pail, but... nope, Fail. Just not big enough. Totally unacceptable volume and tone. It sounded barely passable after placing a couple of piezos inside, but that wasn't what I wanted.
(The fire pail has gone back to being a planter; the hard ash handle/neck, a defense weapon for when the inevitable zombie apocalypse takes place, and the funnel, probably a crown for the new tin foil hat I'm working on.)